We know there are lots of questions about Tupwood Gate that you might want to ask. Here’s some of the most common we are asked:

What are the rooms like?

Every room at Tupwood is different and has its own character, enhanced by people’s personal possessions and decorations. All rooms are beautifully and comfortably furnished. We have flexible spaces available for those who would like to share with a friend or loved one as well as a range of single rooms.

When can family and friends visit?

There is a real family feel at Tupwood Gate and we encourage visitors. We do have some protected times for meals, so residents can enjoy their meal fully, however visitors are welcomed any other time during the day.

We love families and friends to take part in all aspects of life here at Tupwood.

What is there to do?

Residents are supported to do as much or as little as they would like and are key to choosing the activities and events that are offered. We’ll speak to individuals, their families and friends to develop a plan for care and this will look at their health and care needs alongside hobbies, personal preferences and how they like to spend their time and structure their day. This helps us make sure we’re offering the best possible care and support.

We have expert recreational therapists who organise things residents enjoy, such as crafts, art, games, shopping and many others. We also have visiting professionals who offer demonstrations, musical entertainment and more.

Would someone have to move if their health needs increased?

We can support individuals right through their care journey and ensure their needs are met with dignity, respect and empathy. Our care in this area is accredited by the Gold Standards Framework.

We are happy to come and meet with someone who is thinking of moving to us so that we can assess their requirements to ensure we can meet their needs.

Are residents’ religious denominations and cultural needs catered for?

We provide a monthly interdenominational Church service and trips to other local church services can be arranged on request.

Are special dietary requirements catered for?

We are able to offer residents a choice at every meal from a varied, nutritious menu cooked by a professional chef. We will cater for any special dietary requirements.

Is there a safe garden to walk in?

Tupwood Gate has extensive, enclosed and safe gardens for residents to enjoy.

Are dental treatments and chiropody available?

Chiropody and dental treatments are available on request.

Can a person bring their own furniture and other possessions?

Of course, all rooms can be personalised with a person’s own furniture, pictures and ornaments.

How is care funded at Tupwood Gate Nursing Home?

People can fund their own care at Tupwood Gate. Please speak to our Service Manager, Zwelani Ndlovu, if you have specific questions about funding and she will be able to offer advice.

If a person is funding their own care, the cost of this may vary depending on a number of factors including the room you choose and the length of stay which Zwelani will be pleased to chat through.

Some people may qualify for financial assistance – if you need financial assistance, your local authority will decide what level of care you require and look at your income and savings to work out whether you will need to make a contribution towards the cost.

Individuals may be eligible for Attendance Allowance/Disabled Living Allowance (AA/DLA). These are both tax-free, non means-tested weekly benefits. If you’re paying for your own care, you’re likely to be eligible. If you’re receiving funding from the local authority towards your care home costs, this might not be paid as it is effectively included in that funding.

A person might also qualify for Pension Credit. It’s mean-tested, and designed to ensure a minimum guaranteed income for those with limited savings or additional private income.

Contact your local social services department for further information on how to claim.

What happens if my savings run out?

When your savings fall below the upper limits set out by the government, you are likely to be able to qualify for financial assistance. You should contact your local social service department when your savings are approaching this limit, so they’ll know when they need to help.